Thursday, November 27, 2008

3-Day Breast Cancer Walk: An Extraordinary Journey

Last week I went to San Diego for a 3-Day, 60 mile Breast Cancer Walk. It was one of the most awe inspiring and awesome things I've ever done in my life. I got to go with 7 other wonderful friends and sisters... people I now share a closeness with that cannot be undone (Jennifer C., Misty H., Kathryn R., Julie R., Carrie F., Chasity V., and Becca R.). We walked as a team to honor the memory of our dear friend, Melinda Evans and to honor Jenny Revlett, our friend who is battling stage IV now. But breast cancer has touched many of us in other ways, too. None more so than Kathryn and Julie, who lost their mom to breast cancer when they were very young. We made shirts that we all wore as a team- a different shirt for each day of the walk. So many people asked us about Melinda and Jenny and stopped to take pictures of our shirts. Of course, I forgot to take pics of the shirts, but I'm sure somebody else has them on their camera!

60 miles is no easy feat. We trained, but no training in Oklahoma can prepare you for the hilly(some may even say "mountainous" ;) terrain of San Diego. The weather was perfect and the scenery beautiful. We enjoyed a lot of time together, laughing and crying. Everybody did so well. Jennifer escaped with muscle problems and a bad knee on one leg, Becca with some sore arches, Carrie with general soreness and fatigue (she is 3 months pregnant!!!), but I fared the worst. I visited the medical tent and was told I had peritoneal tendonitis. My entire foot was bruised and swollen (this was on night 2). I toughed it out and finished, though! I had made an appointment with my foot doc for the day after I returned, which turned out to be a wise thing. Below is a picture of me just 2 days after completing my journey. I am now in a boot and shoe and crutches. The tendonitis in my right foot is very bad... so bad doc is afraid I might actually tearit if I walk on it. My left foot, which was bad before I went, also has tendonitis, just not as severe. So, not a lot of fun, but it did get me out of some Thanksgiving preparations! :)


We have sooooo many pictures between all of us, but they are not compiled yet. This and the posts below are just a small sampling.

3 comments:

not so zen momma said...

I am so proud of you guys. I hope your foot gets well soon!

Mel said...

That is awesome, sounds like you guys had a great trip full of HOPE!!
I will be praying that your feet heal.

Andrea @ The Miller Spot said...

Yay! You did it! It's crazy, right?! Congrats on your journey and here's to fast healing! :-) Andrea