Sunday, September 9, 2007

You Know You're a Redneck If...

...You take your grandparents to a gas station steakhouse karaoke joint for their 60th Wedding Anniversary.

This weekend I went with my mom to Arkansas to celebrate my grandparent's 60th anniversary. All I knew went I left was that all of my aunts and uncles had been planning a big party for the occasion. Little did I know they had planned to take them to a "steakhouse" that is actually adjoined to a gas station. A place you would never stop to eat if you were driving along the highway. Turns out the food was okay, but I don't know how I feel about spending $40 for my own meal at a gas station steakhouse. There was lively entertainment, though. Above is a picture of my aunt and my cousin singing karaoke (thank the good Lord you weren't there to hear it). Let's just say there was more than a fair amount of alcohol present. A guy that works there also serenaded my grandparents with a Clint Black song- he was pretty good. I must say, there's a lot of country music in Arkansas. And a lot of beer. I couldn't help but picture my grandparents looking around at our crew drinking up their buckets of beer (myself not included- I have standards) and thinking, "What have we done?"

We followed up the dinner with cake and champagne at my grandparents house. Below is a cute picture of them trying to figure out how to cross arms to drink their champagne.


Crazy as my family is, it was good to see them, and even better to be there as my grandparents celebrated such an important milestone. I am so proud that they have shared their life together for so long. These days you don't find many people who have been married 10 years, let alone 60. Congrats, Granny & Papa!

3 comments:

Jenny said...

When can we plan the next trip to Arkansas? I think I am the lost member of your family!! A gas station steakhouse AND singing? Pam, you could have lived it up;)

Jenny said...

I've always heard things about people in Arkansas....Glad you had fun. I still don't think Jennifer (comment before mine) knows I'm blogging yet...... I can not think of anything witty to say, so I'm off to bed. It's late and I'm very tired. Goodnight!

Amy S. Grant said...

That is hilarious! Pam, I can so see you living it up and singing some Shania karaoke.

Congrats to your grandparents - what a milestone!