Friday, August 10, 2007

The Curse

It all began on my brother's 30th birthday, March 15, 2007. The Ides of March. Todd and Payt were home sick, but Luke and I went to Buzz's birthday dinner in the city, then we were headed to the bowling alley on the east side of Norman for the rest of the festivities. I was so close to making it there. I was stopped at a red light not even a block from the bowling alley when all of a sudden there was a big THUD and I was pushing on the brake as hard as I could to keep from going in the middle of the intersection. Some creepy, drunk, old man had plowed right into the back of my van without ever even hitting his brakes! Luke was scared, I was shaking from the impact and had tensed up so much that my back and neck were hurting. We spent the next hour or so waiting for and talking to the cops (even though drunk old man would rather just exchange insurance and be on his way). There are a lot of fun details to this story, too much to write here, but trust me, it's a good story. So, thus begins my dealing with the first insurance company.

April, 2007. Todd is on his way home from a doctor's appointment. He is stopped at a stop sign when a big black SUV rear-ends him. Insurance company #2.

April, 2007. I come out of the mall with the kids, notice a note on my windshield. I read it just as the security guard pulls up. A man hit my parked van. Gash in the back rear passenger side. Just then the man who hit me comes out of the mall. Insurance company #3.

May, 2007. Blanchard May Daze. A weekend where everyone has garage sales. We decide to have one this year, as well. Old woman who should not be driving pulls into our long driveway. Looks at the goods. Gets back in car and starts to reverse. Enter Todd running up the driveway waving arms wildy. CRASH. The brick mailbox is now all over the road. Insurance company #4.

At this point, all of our friends have funny things to say about our luck and whether they should be in a vehicle with us. Not long after the mailbox incident, Jenny's brick mailbox gets ran over by a builder in her neighborhood. Brian is now embarrassed he made fun. Forget insurance, he's a builder, he'll take care of everything.

Yesterday Charlotte was hit by a Hummer while taking her kids to daycare (no one was hurt). Said Hummer driver is the owner of a local car dealership. Forget the insurance, his dealership will fix the car and give her one to drive in the meantime.

In the meantime, I'm still dealing with the insurance. Not fair.

3 comments:

Amy S. Grant said...

Oh, Pam! That is unbelievable. Of course, you could look at it from the other angle that you must be living well since none of you are seriously injured!

But then again, dealing with insurance companies is pretty much hell in itself. Sorry for the bad luck!!

John said...

I am sorry for your bad luck, but hey...I gotta love job security!!!
Which Ins Co you dealing with? I might be able to give you some tips!!!

Jenny said...

Because of your family's bad luck history I was praying the entire ride down to Texas with you. I'm glad you never noticed my deep breathing techniques;)