Sunday, August 19, 2007

Losing Melinda

Friday night my dear friend Melinda passed away. Only 31 years old, she leaves behind 3 children, ages 6, 4, & 1, and an adoring husband. My heart breaks for her youngest, who will never really know his mother, or how much she loved him and doted on him. My heart breaks for her 4-year-old son who will never have the comfort of his mother or her presence at a soccer game again. My heart breaks for her daughter who won't have her mom to take her shopping or help her plan her wedding. My heart breaks for her sweet husband who has been by her side, loving her for most of his life.

I'm also mad. Not at God. I'm just mad at death. Why now? Why her? She battled and beat breast cancer! She was in the midst of reconstructive surgeries when everything went wrong. Even through this last hospital stay, I sat with her in her room and she was talking about going to the retreat and Ladies Night Out. She was a fighter. She shouldn't have lost this fight. It's not fair- I know death never is- but it hurts so much. I am so sad that I will never see Melinda again. Or talk to her on the phone. Or teach her how to use email. Or just see her smile. I just hurt. We all do. We are all so blessed to have known her and been loved by her.

The post below is a video that Mark posted on YouTube a while ago. I went to Melinda's house one night to make this for her so she could show it at church one Wednesday night. She was talking about her battle with cancer and was such an inspiration to everyone there. She was also so nervous she thought she was going to throw up. We actually made this video to take up time so she wouldn't have to talk so long! Man, I miss her.

Goodbye, Melinda. I love you and I miss you, and I will never forget you.

2 comments:

not so zen momma said...

I just listened to Sunday's service online. We are praying hard for our Alameda family. Please let us know if there is anything Derek and I can do.

Amy S. Grant said...

Praying for you, Pam.